A few weeks ago a colleague of my boyfriend (Thanks Arnau) told us that very close to home there was a place where we could see redwoods. Specifically in the town of Espinelves, in the province of Girona.
And since we are with the posts of local getaways, I will leave you this fantastic farmhouse where you can enjoy, without going to California, of immense sequoias and a forest that seems enchanted 🤩
What we fell in love with this place the most it was not only the number of monumental trees but that we were impressed his story… A love story for nature and travel.
INFORMATION ABOUT THE PLACE: The exact location is: Arboretum Masjoan Masjoan S/N, 17405 Espinelves, Girona. It is very easy to get to from the C-25 highway towards Girona. At a distance of 96 kilometers from the city of Barcelona. This is a private enclosure so you will have to pay 5 euro entry.
Do you want to know a little more about this curious place? Goes!
Table of Contents
Curious facts about El Alboretum de MasJoan
- In this farmhouse there are the largest concentration of monumental trees in all of Catalonia.
- The house (Farmhouse) that gives entrance to this universe It dates from the 1710th century and the Masferrers have lived there since XNUMX.
- The passion for nature has been passed down from generation to generation for centuries, even today we can find small trees brought from Chile and other countries.
The history From this place start with Maria Masferrer Rierola, a travel lover and passionate about nature. From very young He traveled the world collecting seeds.
instead of postcards Masferrer collected trees.
Masferrer's love for these living beings led him to take care of each tree, year after year, trip after trip until the day he died. The care of the forest has been passed from generation to generation. Each tree is like part of the family. Many years together! ⏳
This place represents in pure state, the love that some people have for nature, years of effort leaves us this beautiful place.
When you go through each tree and read how old it is, its height... you get nostalgic. Masferrer planted these trees, I take care of them until the last day of his life. More couldn't imagine what each seed would become. When this gentleman died his trees were not even half of what they are now. This fact makes me think of the following sentence:
Planting a tree is a huge expression of love. You never know if your shade or fruit will be enjoyed, but someone else will.
Now I would like to give some curious information about the SequoiasNow that I know a little more about them I can't stop admire his strength and intelligence. After all, we are facing one of the oldest living beings in history.
Fun Facts About Redwoods
- The redwood can reach up to 115 meters in height. The ones in this forest reach 45 meters in height. Not bad!
- Redwoods are legendary trees. According to some studies it has been shown that they are descendants of trees that lived in the time of the dinosaurs. 🦕 Quite a feat to get here!
- Redwoods reproduce by seed. but these need to come out of the cones to be able to start their growth. Now the fun fact: The fires cause these seeds to come out and begin to work their Magic. In addition, its bark is very tolerant of fire.
Finally I would like to leave this sentence. It is a phrase that sums up everything I have felt when visiting this place.
Behind us there will be a trail, the trace of what we were, what we did, what we felt. Behind us will be our mark, our heritage.
The inheritance of Mr. Masferrer and his family is a gift for everyone.
𝙶𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚒𝚊𝚜 𝚙𝚘𝚛 𝚕𝚎𝚎𝚛 ♡ 𝚃𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚔 𝚢𝚘𝚞
2 comments on “Forest with sequoias in Catalonia. The story of a traveler, the story of the MasJoan Arboretum”
I would love to visit such a beautiful place!
It is beautiful, the trees transmit a lot of peace. You can look at what types of pines you have in your city or other monumental trees that you have nearby. ♡❀